A healthy Sunday dish for the family
My kids love mashed potato, especially the one that I make at home because I don’t scrimp on the ingredients. But I would also like them to eat vegetables as often as possible and so I tried to make a dish that will get them to eat vegetables easily and that is together with mashed potatoes. While this may contain many ingredients, it is quite easy to make as you just dump everything together and bake.
I didn’t quite know what to call this recipe but when I took it out of the oven, I asked my youngest daughter what the dish is called, and she replied, “Potato Craft Pie“, and so I shall call it that. I was just amazed at how she came up with that name at her age (she’s only 3 years old).
POTATO CRAFT PIE
6 medium sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
2 Tbsps. butter (room temperature)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsps. Jolly Canola Oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 chicken breast, sliced into small pieces
1/2 cup string beans, cubed
1/2 cup carrot, sliced into small cubes
1/2 cup Jolly Mushrooms, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Jolly Whole Corn Kernels, drained
1/2 cup Jolly Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Mash potatoes and slather in the butter. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
3. Pour in the milk all over and mix well. Flatten in an 8″ x 8″ pan. Set aside.
4. Heat the Jolly Canola Oil and saute the garlic and onions for about 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken breasts and stir fry until translucent.
6. Add in the string beans and carrots, mix well and cook for about five minutes.
7. Add the Jolly Mushrooms and Jolly Whole Corn Kernels.
8. Stir in the Jolly Cream of Mushroom Soup. Dilute in a little a water (about 3 Tbsps). Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
9. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in about 1/3 cup of cheese.
10. When the cheese has melted (about 2 minutes), remove from heat and pour the mixture on top of the mashed potato. Top with grated cheese and sprinkle some dried basil.
11. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Increase the temperature to 250°F and baked for another 5 minutes or until the top has browned a bit.
12. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving so that the layers have settle and you can slice the pie to the bottom and serve it without the slices caving in.